A Dude Ranch Vacation Is Unlike Any Other Vacation Your Family Has Taken Before.
The opportunity to make lifetime memories with your loved ones are endless. Horseback riding, fishing, hiking, stargazing, and swapping stories around the campfire are just some of the activities to look forward to when you book your vacation. But before you come to a dude ranch, your best bet for an unforgettable experience is to come prepared. We often get asked what to pack for a dude ranch vacation and we have a few general guidelines that may help you get a better idea of what to bring with you. Here are some recommendations on what you should pack in your suitcase for your dude ranch vacation.
- Cowboy/cowgirl boots
- Cowboy/cowgirl hat
- Lightweight jeans/pants*
- Lightweight shirts*
- Rain jacket or fleece jacket (during the colder months)
- Scarf, gloves, and hat (during colder months)
- Lip balm with sunscreen
- Camera/phone chargers
- Insect repellant
- Hair ties
- A good book (enjoy while laying by the pool or cozied up by the fireplace)
It is important to remember that the temperature varies from day to night in the mountains so packing layers is good to keep in mind.
- Riding boots
- Lightweight jacket
- Long socks
- Keep in mind that many dude ranches allow you to borrow gear for horseback riding such as
- riding helmets and riding boots. If you do not have these items, and before you purchase them,
- give the ranch a call to ask if they have the option to borrow or rent the gear.
- Hiking boots
- Compass or watch
- Proper socks for hiking
- Reusable water bottle, such as a Hydroflask to stay hydrated during the day.
- Comfortable and lightweight clothing
Fishing is typically included in your stay at a dude ranch so they will provide poles and the bait.
Many dude ranches have golf courses nearby. At Greenhorn Ranch we have golf courses within a 10 minute drive of the ranch. Bringing the proper clothing and gear with you will be helpful so that you don’t have to rent the items.
If you’re traveling by plane to your dude ranch vacation, it is best practice to wear your heaviest or bulkiest items of clothing. Don’t be afraid to rock those boots and cowboy hat on your flight! Also keep in mind that many dude ranches have laundry facilities which will allow you to pack less. Your dude ranch vacation is one that your family will remember for a lifetime. Make sure to come prepared so that you can relax, enjoy, and spend time outdoors with your family.